Respiratory Medicine is a medical specialty that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the respiratory system, which includes the lungs, bronchi, and trachea. Common respiratory diseases include asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and pneumonia. Respiratory physicians, also known as pulmonologists, use a variety of diagnostic techniques to evaluate respiratory function, including spirometry, chest x-rays, and bronchoscopy. They may also treat respiratory conditions with medications, such as bronchodilators and corticosteroids, or with procedures such as oxygen therapy or mechanical ventilation.
The department is equipped with 30 bedded general ward, 5 bedded RICU, PFT lab, bronchoscopy suit. The staff is well versed with the following services;
- OPD services.
- IPD services.
- Advanced Pulmonary Function Test- Spirometry, MVV, DLCO , MBT..
- Bronchoscopy and allied services.
- Tube thoracotomy (ICD).
- CT guided Lung biopsy and allied services.
- Thoracoscopy and allied Services.
- Expert Opinion for referred cases.
- Expert opinion to other service departments such as Medicine, Surgery, OBG, Paediatrics, Orthopaedics etc
Our college has an RNTCP unit since 2003. It was taken over by the department of Respiratory Medicine in the year 2012. Dr santosh Nemagouda took over the charges as Nodal officer in the year 2012.
Activities carried out;
- It has got DMC centre equipped with LED microscope which carries out 800 to 1000 smear examinations per month
- It has got DOT centre which provides DOTS. It initiates DOTS and transfers out patients to the nearby PHC/ Community health centres.
- This centre also takes part in spreading awareness about the disease and also regarding NTEP (National TB Elimination Programme)/RNTCP activities and events at student level (UG/PG), staff level, community level
- This unit has been encouraging UG PG students to undertake research work on NTEP (National TB Elimination Programme)/RNTCP activities and events
- Inpatient facility for MDR TB patients is available with MoU with District TuberCulosis Office, Vijayapura for FREE treatment of MDR TB cases.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT US !
Don’t Just Take it from us,Let our Students do the talking.