Respiratory Medicine is considered a branch of internal medicine and is related to intensive care medicine. Respiratory Medicine often involves managing patients who need life support and mechanical ventilation. Respiratory Medicine is specially trained in diseases and conditions of the chest, particularly pneumonia, asthma, tuberculosis, emphysema, and complicated chest infections.
|1||1989||Established as a separate department under the guidance of Dr S Chandrashekhar as Professor and HOD.|
|2||1996||Dr Prabhakar rao took over as HOD.|
Dr R S Babar joined Professor and HOD.
Started DOTS Centre of RNTCP.
Department started RICU services.
Department started Bronchoscopy and allied procedures.
|5||2011||CT guided Lung biopsy procedure was started .|
|6||2012||RNTCP unit at BLDE Hospital, was taken over by the department of Respiratory medicine with the appointment of Dr Santosh Nemagouda as Nodal officer|
|7||2013||Department started 10 bedded MDR TB treatment centre in association with District TB centre|
|8||2015||Ministry Of Health , Government of India Strengthened MDRTB Centre by Signing MoU with BLDEDU to privide monetary and infrastructre assistance.|
|9||2019||MCI has sanctioned two P G Seats( M.D. Respiratory Medicne) for the departement.|
|10||2020||Two PG Students joined the M.D. Respiratory Medicine Course.|
Department was actively involved in management of COVID patients during the Pandemic.
The department is equipped with 30 bedded general ward, 5 bedded RICU, PFT lab, bronchoscopy suit. The staff is well versed with the following services;
- OPD services.
- IPD services.
- Advanced Pulmonary Function Test- Spirometry, MVV, DLCO , MBT..
- Bronchoscopy and allied services.
- Tube thoracotomy (ICD).
- CT guided Lung biopsy and allied services.
- Thoracoscopy and allied Services.
- Expert Opinion for referred cases.
- Expert opinion to other service departments such as Medicine, Surgery, OBG, Paediatrics, Orthopaedics etc
Our college has an RNTCP unit since 2003. It was taken over by the department of Respiratory Medicine in the year 2012. Dr santosh Nemagouda took over the charges as Nodal officer in the year 2012.
Activities carried out;
- It has got DMC centre equipped with LED microscope which carries out 800 to 1000 smear examinations per month
- It has got DOT centre which provides DOTS. It initiates DOTS and transfers out patients to the nearby PHC/ Community health centres.
- This centre also takes part in spreading awareness about the disease and also regarding NTEP (National TB Elimination Programme)/RNTCP activities and events at student level (UG/PG), staff level, community level
- This unit has been encouraging UG PG students to undertake research work on NTEP (National TB Elimination Programme)/RNTCP activities and events
- Inpatient facility for MDR TB patients is available with MoU with District TuberCulosis Office, Vijayapura for FREE treatment of MDR TB cases.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT US !
Don’t Just Take it from us,Let our Students do the talking.