Central Research Laboratory
The BLDE (Deemed to be University) Central Research Laboratory (CRL) in medical college is built to provide teaching staff, researchers and graduate students with easy access to high-end research instruments. For the further development of modern medicine, it is indispensable to be fully equipped with advanced technologies such as medical, analytical and information devices, and to utilise them systematically.
The CRL is established in 2014 in Smt. Bangaramma Sajjan campus with the financial support from BLDE (Deemed to be University). The primary purpose of the CRL is to support research activities of the faculty, PhD scholars, PG students and UG students by providing technical assistance and access to advanced and high-end scientific instruments. The secondary purpose of CRL is also to organise training programs and workshops/seminars for staff and research scholars in the focused areas of research. The CRL with 1500 Sq. ft. area provides sufficient space for multidisciplinary research. Our Honorable President Dr. M. B. Patil and Honorable Vice-Chancellor Prof. M. S. Biradar are very kind enough to encourage the research activities in the university.
BLDE (Deemed to be University) Central Research Laboratory is equipped with
- High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (JASCO, Japan)
- Elisa Reader (Transasia, Erba)
- UV-Visible Spectrophotometer (Elico, India)
- Research Centrifuge (Remi, India)
- Refrigerated Centrifuge (Remi, India)
- Tissue Homogenizer (Remi India)
- Ultrasonic Bath (PCI Analytics, India)
- Electronic Balance (Trident, India)
- Electrical Water Bath (Apollo, India)
MICRO-BIOLOGYIt is a branch of medical science concerned with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases There are four kinds of microorganisms that cause infectious disease: bacteria, fungi, parasites and viruses, and one type of infectious protein called prion.
Pathology is a medical specialty that is concerned with the diagnosis of disease based on the laboratory analysis of bodily fluids, such as blood, urine, and tissue homogenates or extracts using the tools of chemistry, microbiology, hematology and molecular pathology.
Biochemistry is the area of chemistry that is generally concerned with analysis of bodily fluids for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. It is an applied form of biochemistry
- To act as a centre of excellence in learning basic and advanced skills to enable healthcare profession students to be competent in delivering the healthcare needs effectively.
- To train and develop necessary clinical skills in medical undergraduate, postgraduate students, paramedical students as per needs and competency statements of various courses.
- To develop and act as a resource centre for such activities and coordinate between various sections for effective delivery.
- To develop resources, materials and course curricula required for various courses.
- To train and certify the learners and faculty necessary for conducting courses or establishing such centres elsewhere.
- To provide intellectual support for upcoming centres.
- Dr. Tejaswini Vallabha, Vice Principal, Prof. & HOD of Surgery & Chairperson.
- Dr. Vijayakumar T K, Professor of Anaethesia, Chief Co-ordinator.
- Dr. Girish Kullolli, Assoc. Professor of Surgery, Co-ordinator.
- Mrs. Nagamani V Padashetti, Incharge Clerk.
- Mr. Mallappa Gundipalle, Peon
Resource Persons: Faculty from the Department of General Surgery, Anaesthesiology, OBGY, Orthopaedics, Peadiatrics and BLDEA’s Institute of Nursing Sciences.
Common Courses/Workshops conducted:
- Basic Life Support & Advanced Life Support for interns, postgraduates, paramedical workers, nursing students, Ambulance drivers, students of college & high schools, factory workers etc.
- Basic Surgical Skills for interns, postgraduates, paramedical staff & medical students.
- Basic Obstetric Skills & normal Labour.
- Paediatric point of care techniques.
- Basic Laparoscopic Surgery Skills & many more.
BLDE (Deemed to be University) Genetics Laboratory
North Karnataka has a unique culture, customs and socio-demography. Consanguineous marriage is a traditional practice in many communities around the world. Consanguineous marriage continues to be common due to tradition & socioeconomic factors. Besides, we come across many disorders related to genetic counselling are necessary to improve health care. As a Health Science University, genetic analysis, detection of genetic abnormalities and research into untouched domains is an equally important function. With these issues as an area of focus, we established the BLDE (Deemed to be University) Genetics Laboratory in the Department of Anatomy on October 2015 with the primary objective of Chromosome analysis & Genetic Counseling. BLDE (Deemed to be University) Genetics Laboratory is the first of its kind Genetics Lab in this part of Karnataka.
To be a centre of excellence in human genetics which conducts research, trains researchers, provides advanced diagnostic & counseling services to the needy.
- To understand the basic research in human genetics, the molecular genetic basis of chromosomal, neurological, psychiatric & other rare genetic disorders.
- To explore the molecular biological basis of growth factors.
- To train students, staff and researcher in molecular genetic research methodologies.
- To provide advanced diagnostic service and genetic counselling to the patients and their families.
Vision & Mission
To gain excellence in the areas of Cell culture, Molecular Genetics and Molecular Diagnosis. Perform advanced research in Genetic aspects of disorders. Impart training on genetic research methodologies and molecular genetic platforms. Provide Genetic diagnostic testing and genetic counselling.
Research Work at BLDE (Deemed to be University) Genetics Laboratory
Chromosome analysis is also called karyotyping, it is a technique that allows geneticists to visualise chromosomes under a microscope. The chromosomes can be seen using proper extraction and staining techniques when the chromosomes are in the metaphase portion of the cell cycle. Detecting chromosomal abnormalities is essential for prenatal diagnosis, detection of carrier status for certain genetic diseases or traits, and for general diagnostic purposes.
Purpose of Karyotyping
Karyotyping is performed to review the genetic sequencing of a person to make sure that the person does not have defective genetic material, which could lead to severe deformities or mutations that would affect the development of a person or otherwise affect the person negatively throughout their lives.
- To demonstrate a microtechnique for reliable chromosomal analysis of leucocytes obtained from peripheral blood.
- To prepare a karyotype from the chromosomes of human male or female.
- To use the Karyotyping techniques for diagnosing a chromosomal disorder.
- A karyotype can be used to visualise abnormalities in the chromosomes, such as an incorrect number of chromosomes, deletions, insertions, or translocations of DNA.
BLDE (Deemed to be University) Genetics Laboratory Equipments
- Laminar Air Flow
- Co2 Incubator.
- Olympus miscoscope with GenASIs Software.
- Remi Centrifuge.
- Water Bath.
- Digital Weighing Balance.
- Slide Chamber
- Hot Plate
Chromosomal analysis can be carried out for following disorders
- Down’s Syndrome with trisomy 21 (47, XY, +21)
- Patau Syndrome with Trisomy 13, XX
- Edwards Syndrome with trisomy 18 (47, XY, +18).
- Klinefelter’s syndrome with a 47, XXY
Genetic Counseling is a type of Counseling where it requires the information of genetic disorder regarding etiology, its presentation, treatment options, prognosis, mechanism of inheritance, prevention and recurrence risk for future problems, wherever possible.
Purpose of Genetic Counseling
- Multifactorial Disorders
- Abnormal Chromosomal Reports.
- History of Multiple Congenital Anomalies
- Genetic Disorders
- Pre-conceptional Counseling
- Premarital Counseling
Laboratory of Vascular Physiology and Medicine
The vascular system is the connections of numerous blood vessels in our bodies. The system is comprised of artery, veins and capillaries which can. The major organs support it are heart, brain, lungs and kidneys. It is not easy to keep our vascular system healthy and functionally normal as multiple factors make an adverse impact on the vessels routinely. The malfunctions of the vascular system lead to life-threatening conditions like stroke, IHD, atherosclerosis and many more. Among many physiological reasons, ageing is the most crucial factor that makes a severe influence on the vascular system. The Ageing changes vascular thickness and its elastic recoiling system and alters cardiac hemodynamic The following factors may be considered as responsible for destabilising vascular physiology
MoU signed by Prof.Luis Gabriel Navar and Prof.M.S.Biradar for 1st official collaboration between the universities. Prof.Kusal Das and Prof.DSA Majid are the Principal collaborators for 3 yrs project. The work will be done under the care of Prof.Das at Laboratory of Vascular Physiology & Medicine, BLDE (Deemed to be University), India and Prof.Dewan S.A.Majid of Hypertension and Renal Centre of Excellence, Tulane University School of Medicine, USA. The Project is entitled “Hypoxia, metal exposure and cell signaling pathways: Evaluation of vascular integrity with renal functions in male albino rats supplemented with ascorbate and calcium channel blocker”